Sesame Chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish that is beloved for its delightful combination of sweet and savory flavors and its satisfyingly crunchy texture. This dish features bite-sized pieces of chicken that are battered and fried until golden brown, then tossed in a sticky sauce made with honey, soy sauce, and sesame oil. The final sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds adds a nutty flavor and an extra crunch that makes this dish utterly irresistible. Sesame Chicken is often served with a side of fluffy white rice or steamed vegetables, making it a complete meal that’s perfect for any occasion.
Ingredients for Sesame Chicken
- For the chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- For garnish:
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped green onions
Cooking Steps for Sesame Chicken
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, water, and egg to create a batter. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350°F (175°C). In batches, carefully drop the battered chicken into the hot oil and fry until crispy and golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- For the sauce, combine soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, and grated ginger in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the saucepan and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Toss the fried chicken in the sauce until well coated.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Serve the Sesame Chicken hot with a side of steamed rice or vegetables.
In conclusion, Sesame Chicken is a classic dish that offers a delightful crunch and a rich flavor profile that’s sure to please any palate. When preparing this dish, using fresh garlic and ginger will greatly enhance the sauce’s aroma and taste. For the chicken, opting for quality cuts and ensuring they are thoroughly coated in the batter will result in the best texture after frying. The key to a great Sesame Chicken lies in the balance of the sauce’s sweetness and tanginess, so adjusting the honey and vinegar to your liking is essential. Enjoy this Chinese-American favorite as a tasty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for both weeknights and special occasions.