The Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry is a classic dish that embodies the essence of Chinese cuisine. Known for its vibrant colors, crunchy textures, and savory flavors, this dish has earned its place as a favorite in Chinese restaurants and home kitchens alike. It’s a harmonious blend of succulent chicken pieces and fresh broccoli florets, all tossed together in a glossy, garlic-infused sauce that tantalizes the taste buds. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a healthy choice packed with protein and fiber. Quick to prepare and endlessly adaptable, Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry can be whipped up in a flash, making it the perfect go-to for busy weeknights or when you’re craving a touch of takeout comfort at home.
Ingredients for Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1 pound chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
Cooking Steps for Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- In a bowl, combine the sliced chicken with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and cornstarch. Mix well and let it marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry until browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the broccoli florets and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they are bright green and slightly tender.
- Add the sliced onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger to the skillet with the broccoli. Stir-fry for another minute until fragrant.
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet with the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Pour this sauce over the chicken and broccoli in the skillet.
- Cook everything together for a few more minutes, until the sauce has thickened and everything is well coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving, if desired.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or noodles.
In closing, Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry is not just a Chinese favorite; it’s a testament to the beauty of fresh, simple ingredients coming together to create a dish greater than the sum of its parts. For the best results, select fresh, organic broccoli, and use a high-quality soy sauce and oyster sauce for depth of flavor. The chicken should be fresh and preferably free-range for the most tender texture. Remember that the key to a great stir-fry is high heat and quick cooking, so have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go before you turn on the stove. With these tips in mind, you’re all set to enjoy a delicious, healthy meal that will surely become a staple in your culinary repertoire.